Renters: Leave Those Carpets Clean!
It’s time to move out and suddenly you’re thinking about getting that cleaning deposit back. You’re seized by the overwhelming urge to CLEAN!
If you’ve got carpets, they will need to be cleaned as well. Here are some tips:
- Go back and read your lease or rental agreement carefully. It may not only specify professional cleaning, but could also include specific cleaning methods.
- Don’t rent one of those DIY carpet cleaning machines. See number 1. It’s not just that they’re heavy and awkward, they can be messy to clean out before return, and most importantly they don’t really give you the deep clean you’re looking for. In some cases, the carpets may even look worse afterwards.
- Hire a reputable professional carpet cleaning company. See 1 and 2. And don’t be afraid to be picky.
- Documentation is good. Save that receipt!
Never hired a professional carpet cleaning company before? You should do well if you follow these pointers:
- Know how many and (if possible) what kind of spots need to be addressed in addition to overall cleaning. Be sure to mention these up front and verify that they are included in the quoted price.
- If your rental agreement specifies specific methods, make sure the company you choose is experienced in those methods.
- Ask for references (and check them).
- Choose a reputable company and not just the one with the lowest price.
Hopefully this will help make your move-out a little bit less of a chore.